Family Case Study #2
- Couple in their mid 60’s and had 3 children and 8 grandchildren.
- Family owned a business and 2 of the 3 children were active in the business.
- Brother also owned a portion of the business, but wasn’t active in the business.
- Wanted to give the business to their children involved in the business and equalize the inheritance for the child that wasn’t involved.
- Already had trusts set up for the benefit of each child for their inheritance.
- Wanted to include their family in charitable giving.
- We created a plan to purchase the ownership from his brother to keep the business in his family.
- We utilized a stock gift to the children active in the business and a Charitable Remainder Trust to transition the business to the next generation.
- We developed a Life Insurance Trust to equalize the inheritance for the child not receiving business ownership.
- We set up a Life Estate Agreement for their home since they didn’t want to keep it in the family after they passed.
- We created a charitable giving strategy to facilitate income producing asset gifts to a Giving Fund which allowed them to give about 50% AGI limitation.
- We developed a strategy to include their children and grandchildren in charitable giving and family mission trips.
Case studies are for informational and illustrative purposes only and not to be considered a guarantee of results.
Actual results will vary with each situation.