Family Case Study #1
Selling the Business
- Couple was in their early 50’s and had 3 children.
- Had already set up a trust for each child to provide a small lifetime inheritance.
- Wanted to provide an additional lifetime inheritance to their children.
- Wanted to equalize their children’s inheritances because they provided a college education and down payment for a home for their oldest and college education for the middle child.
- Estate plan created additional trusts providing their children income and the assets to their future grandchildren.
- Had a business that was being prepared for a future IPO or sale.
- We utilized a Charitable Remainder Trust to avoid capital gains tax when the company had it’s IPO.
- We created an inheritance strategy that equalized their children’s inheritances and provided the additional lifetime inheritance.
- They updated their wills to remove the additional trusts that provided income to their children and assets to their future grandchildren.
- We created a charitable giving plan to strategically gift cash and asset gifts to take advantage of the maximum allowable charitable deductions.
- They directed all of their remaining assets to their foundation after their passing.
Case studies are for informational and illustrative purposes only and not to be considered a guarantee of results.
Actual results will vary with each situation.